Commit to Quit
Top 10 Quit Tips
Quitting smoking can be can be challenging because nicotine is a very addictive drug. Most people have to try several times to quit for good, so don't give up just because you haven't succeeded in the past. To help you keep your resolution, try out one – or all – of these quit tips.
- Set your quit smoking date.
- Write down why you want to quit.
- Don't use other forms of tobacco instead of cigarettes.
- Make smoke-free home and car rules.
- Determine your triggers and then avoid them.
- Find other ways to relieve stress.
- Talk to your doctor or dentist about getting help to quit.
- Check your insurance policy for coverage of smoking-cessation medication and counseling.
- Get support.
- Keep trying.
- smokefree.gov provides free online quit-smoking resources. Colorado residents 15 years and older who are ready to quit smoking can also call the Colorado QuitLine at 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) for free personalized coaching, as well as a free supply of nicotine patches or gum.
- tobaccofreekids.org provides additional information about tobacco, including state-by-state statistics.